Improving International Cooperation and R&D Road Infrastructure Strategy for Ukraine
01/12/2011 - 31/05/2014
Ukraine plays a strategic role in facilitating East-West transport connections via the country’s strategic road network. However, it cannot handle the increasing traffic load due to insufficient technical parameters. The overall objective of the INCRIS project is to ensure that the cooperation capacities of Ukraine’s leading road research centre, the Shulgin State Road Research Institute (DNDI), are reinforced in order for it to foster its integration into the European Research Area and thus improve road infrastructure in Ukraine through joint research. The project aims to establish strategic partnerships between DNDI and EU road research centres in order to facilitate knowledge sharing. The project will help DNDI to develop partnerships and set up joint research programmes through networking. It also aims to strengthen the ability of Ukrainian researchers to take part in future FP7 funded research projects through training on project management accompanied by the secondment of DNDI staff to the Brussels office of the Forum of European National Highway Research Laboratories (FEHRL).
The sharing and dissemination of knowledge between DNDI and research institutes in member states will be facilitated by the setting up of a bilingual website, the translation of DNDI's scientific results into English and subsequent dissemination through various channels. A bilingual project brochure will also be produced and participation of DNDI researchers in international conferences in the partner countries will be supported. The project will also assist in building a research strategy for DNDI in order to increase its scope and regional coverage in Ukraine as well as to improve its responses to the socio-economic needs of the country. Eventually, the project will contribute to improving transport infrastructure in Ukraine through enabling researchers to find the best solutions, locally initiated or an adaption of existing know-how, while taking the principle of sustainability into account.
Work package 1 (DNDI) : Networking
The main objective of this work package is to facilitate and encourage cooperation between DNDI and research centres in Member States and Associated Countries. These would be done through activities such as:
- Strengthening and developing partnerships
- Workshop and conferences
- Setting up of joint experiments
Workpackage 2 (IBDIM) : Training
1. Develop and implement training modules to strengthen the ability of Ukrainian researchers to take part in future FP7 funded research projects.
2. Transfer knowledge about best solutions and practices.
3. Exchange experiences and knowledge about building strategy, project management, financing etc.
4. Strengthen the cooperation with other EU countries through international projects and initiatives.
Workpackage 3 (KTI) : Strategy building
- To develop a new long-term research and development strategy for DNDI in order to increase its scope, regional coverage and prepare it to better respond to the socio-economic situation of Ukraine.
- To create a short-term action plan, which includes the most important steps to be taken to reach the goals of the strategy and to conduct initial follow-up review of its implementation.
Workpackage 4 (DNDI) : Management
- Management and coordination of the project (financial administration, quality management, knowledge management, progress management) towards the management of the objectives
- Coordination and communication with the European Commission
Dr. Valery Vyrozhemsky
Shulgin State Road Research Institute
Prospect Peremohy 57
Please feel free to contact the partners for any suggestions, references, material experiences, etc related to the INCRIS project.